Friday, July 29, 2011

The End

Dear Reader,

Today is my last day here in Panama. Feeling a bit sad, but mostly just so excited to be reunited with my friends and family. Wednesday Mark, Miriam, and I left Farallon for Panama City. I got up early Wednesday morning and stood awkwardly in front of the school in Farallon waiting for my little baby cuties to head in to learn so I could say goodbye. In my broken Spanish I tried to tell the kids I was leaving today and I didn't know when I would be back, also that I loved them and would miss them. I think I came out like this: "I she goes today...I love you...want to come here...one year...possibly...I return United States...I have school university..." So anyhow, you get the idea. I hope the kids got the idea.
I cannot remember if I have written on this or not, nor do I want to read through my other posts to see if I have, but bear with me as I touch on how I am feeling now at the end of the summer.
I feel as though, because I have had to be so expressive with my Spanish speaking friends, I will be able to communicate so easily with everyone back in the states. Not only will I be able to communicate, but I feel as though I will have no inhibitions at all in communicating with everyone I meet. I like people, but now I think I will crave others. Here in Panama I just scream hello to everyone mostly because I really don't understand what they are saying back to me. 
Also, I am just praying I will have a significant change in the way I live my life when I return back to the United States. I hope that living around poverty has not some how desensitized me to the needy. I lived in a really poor area and because of that, poverty became somewhat of the norm, so I don't know. I just feel like coming back home is going to be weird. I need to debrief myself or something. 
Another wonderful aspect of my summer is the new family that I gained. I was able to spend the summer with two wonderful people, Mark and Miriam, and grow and bond together. They are so warm and loving and I feel so happy to say that I will have them in my lives forever.
I am so thankful for everyone who made this summer possible for me. I can't wait to be home with everyone I love!
Here are some pictures.
This is Maria and her husband. They are awesome.

This is Lis sitting on her brand new septic tank.

Tomasa came to say goodbye.

The Uptons and I with Raphael. Saying goodbye.
This is it! Thank you for following me this summer. 
Te amo,
Catalina

No comments:

Post a Comment