Monday, July 4, 2011

Plenty of Fish

Que Pasa,

The phrase "que pasa" is actually used here to say "what is wrong," and I didn't really know that. So I was basically asking everyone "what is the matter," and was confused as to why everyone was responding shyly to me as they responded, usually, with "nada" or nothing. It probably didn't make a lot of sense for me to be assuming people had issues before I even began a conversation with them, but you live and you learn the correct way to speak a little Spanish. 
The poverty here in Farallon is different here, I think, than in most impoverished places. The village is a fishing community, and because of that, fish and rice is abundant and quite cheap. Families may not have nutritious foods, but their stomachs do get filled. The thing that really breaks this village apart is the alcohol. A can of beer here is only about $.50 compared to a $.90 soda. Naturally, if you were trying to pinch some pennies, you would choose the beer. So the adults here, especially the men and leaders of the community, are always a bit tipsy. Last night I went to invite Josephine and her family to a little house church we were having and a I came across a man who I believe was the local artist's, Joseph's, brother. I said hello, because I have no inhibitions with greeting people here, mainly because that is one of the things I know how to say in Spanish, and then he hugged me and was trying to kiss my face and talk to me all while holding me tight in an embrace. I was in front of some of my friends homes and just thought "Ok, someone help me out here." Luckily Saudia called me over for a question she had about her son Randy's homework.
So, I suppose I said all that to say, the children of this village don't have any positive examples. They see the adults abuse alcohol, and cock fight, and curse, and scream, and use violence, and negative thing after negative thing. At that point I get so frustrated with my language barrier and just want to hold these children in my arms and tell them there is so much more in this world than Farallon. I want them to receive and education. I want to tell them they can do anything they set their minds to and that they are so talented. I want Jefferson to put his menacing behavior behind him and use his skills as a natural leader for good rather than selfish gain. I want Yaireth to know I love her even when she is a brat and that she is a beautiful child of God with a precious voice for singing. I want Maria and Evelin to see how much their mother cares for them and to know that their diligence in school with pay off one day. When I see little babies like Daievis and Junior that do not know any better, I want to teach them what love really feels like. 
The following pictures may have been included in previous posts, but I have included them for examples of the people who I have writen about.
Evelin and Maria

Yaireth

Randy, Roseward, Yaireth, and Jefferson

Jefferson, Saudia, John, Sair, Roseward, Randy

Junior
Despite everything, there are people here in Farallon who have begun to respect me in way I never thought possible. I am just overwhelmed by the friendship I have been shown and pray that God continues to work here, and that his will be done, not my own. 
Nevertheless, I'm hurting for these kids right now. The future is in their hands and the change this community needs will start with them.
Keep Farallon in your prayers.
Katelyn

No comments:

Post a Comment